Monday, October 20, 2008

Songs McCain was told he could not use on his campaign.

I've heard in the news several times of artists finding out McCain was using their songs, and quickly told him to cease and desist. First John Mellencamp, Jackson Browne, Abba, then Franki Valli and the Four Seasons, Orleans (who allowed George Bush the use of their song, apparently), Heart, Van Halen (at least the Van Halen half - apparently Sammy Hagar was ok with it - not sure who owns the rights to "Right Now" if they both wrote it - also, Bush used it after Tom Petty told him to stop using "I Won't Back Down."), The Foo Fighters and now Bon Jovi. There may be more I haven't heard about. Let me know if you know of any more and I'll add 'em. Unless the artists tell ME I can't use them, either. Probably not. Heh.




MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes



Keep on rockin' in the free world,
leon

2 comments:

Kristen said...

"You're just too good to be true..." I almost choked on my own saliva when I played this song. Seriously? It seems like this song should be used for a comedy skit on SNL. Now that would be sweet.

Well...Frankie Valli AKA: Francis Stephen Castelluccio was born in 1934 which would make him 74. At least Mccain can share his age with Frankie but that's about it. Ok...so, Mccain's 2 years younger. But who's counting.

Anyway...

"What's My Age Again?"
~Kristen

P.S. 10 points for anyone who can guess what songs I reference

leon said...

Actually, the McCain campaign was trying to use the "Can't Take My Eyes off of You" in a negative ad targeting Obama and his "celebrity" status. So in a way, in WAS a comedy skit.

oooh, I want 10 points! What's my age is Blink 182. Were there other references? Some song about choking on saliva? 'That would be sweet,' makes me think of a Portishead song. Am I trying too hard? Do I get partial credit?